Thursday 4 February 2016

Making Them Tap


Our next story takes TFC into the world of Brazilian Jiu Jitsu, or BJJ as it is commonly known.  BJJ is an incredibly intricate style that utilizes technique to finish an opponent.  These techniques, referred to as “submissions” can either incapacitate an opponent or cause so much pain that the opponent taps out to end the bout. BJJ also incorporates strikes such as elbows and knees.

Here are some of my favourite examples, featuring UFC fighters using submissions to finish their fight.





Scott Bridge is a Brazilian Jiu Jitsu fighter with almost twenty years of training. Beginning at the age of 7, Scott has spent the majority of his life “rolling” in a dojo. Now 25 years old, Scott sat down with The Fighter’s Corner to look back on a life of training.

TFC: What first brought you into a dojo?

SB: Like a lot of kids, I was bullied. It was pretty bad, really. I was a small kid and didn’t have much confidence, so bullies loved me. I started doing karate when I was 7, just as a way to build confidence. I sure didn’t expect to be training 25 years later.  After a bit of karate, I started BJJ and fell in love with it.

TFC: Did the training help with your confidence? What about BJJ appealed to you so much?

SB: It definitely boosted my confidence, not just in my physical abilities but with my mental strength as well. Knowing I could physically defend myself definitely helped my confidence when standing up to bullies, but it was the mental strength that helped the most. I learned to control my emotions and how to use words instead of fists. Plus, I was still small, so fighting wasn’t the best option even with training. That’s why I loved BJJ.

TFC: It’s good for small guys?

SB: More that you didn’t have to be big. BJJ is all about technique. If a big guy grabs you, proper technique will help even the odds pretty quickly.

TFC: As you grew up and gained experience, did you compete?

SB: Many times, mainly between ages 16 to 19. I had lots of training and loved putting my abilities to the test. Plus, competing helped my teammates and coahes as well. When you compete, you’re putting your training against there’s. If I lost, we could look at what they did and see if our training could improve at all. BJJ, and martial arts overall, it all about learning.

TFC: You’re 25 now, do you still compete?

SB: Not anymore, I had my fun. I went to University and am working on my Masters in Psychology. I’m actually writing a paper on the benefits of martial arts training and the possibility of it one day being taught in gym class. I still love to train and can’t see myself ever stopping, but competing takes more dedication than I can give it.  If one day, I can help more kids everywhere receive the mental strength and confidence that martial arts gave me, I’ll consider that better than winning any amount of championship belts.


TFC: It’s always fascinating to hear why people choose to get hit for a hobby. Thank you Scott, good luck with the paper and send a copy our way when you’re done.

2 comments:

  1. Scott Bridge sounds like a stand-up guy. My son has participated in swimming, hockey, lacrosse and football, but I never thought about martial arts. I will definitely present this as an option to him now that I read your interview with Scott. Thanks for sharing.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I did Martial Arts for years, I have my blackbelt in Tae Kwon Do. Once I received a rowing scholarship, I had no choice but to quit to dedicate more time to rowing. I have always wanted to get back into it, maybe I will come to the gym with you one day!

    ReplyDelete